Alexander, Catawba, Cleveland, Gaston and Lincoln County
St. Luke's Episcopal Church and Cemetery
This house of worship has been around a long time. It's the earliest Episcopal church in town and one of the first in the county, originally constructed in 1842. The interior holds ornate and decorative examples of Gothic Revival in its hand-carved altar and choir stall. The Rev. W.R. Wetmore served as the church's rector from 1862 to 1904, and led the parish through periods of growth and prominence. The church's cemetery became the final resting-place for many prominent citizens, including Major General Stephen Dodson Ramseur, Vardy McBee, and Judge William A Hoke.
303 North Cedar St.
The cemetery is open throughout the year; the church is available by appointment only, except on Sunday.